The Pont du Gard is an aqueduct bridge, presently situated near the city of Nîmes, France. Its name directly translates to “Bridge of the Gard” from French. It was constructed by the Roman empire and was believed to have been built by Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, Augustus’ son-in-law, around 19 BC. However, latest theories suggest that the building took place in the middle of the first century AD. It is believed that the labour of a thousand men went in the building of the aqueduct. The bridge was constructed entirely without the use of mortar, the need of which was eliminated as the stones used were precisely cut to fit together perfectly. The Pont du Gard is a famous Roman monument in the present, although it was built with the very specific practical purpose to supply water to the area. It may be a small part of the 50 km long Nîmes aqueduct, 275 meters long, but a bridge across Gard River was an essential requirement for the whole project to be completed. It stands nearly 50 meters high above the river, making it the highest of all Roman aqueduct bridges, and has three tiers of arches. The first one consists of 6 arches (22 meters high), the second- of 11 arches (the same size), and the third- of 35 smaller arches (7 meters high). The Nîmes Aqueduct was believed to have functioned until fourth century AD, after which its maintenance was neglected and clogging by mineral deposits reduced the flow of water significantly. Later, it was only used for watering the crops in the area, as the water was no longer enough for the fountains, bathes, and homes of the Nîmes’ citizens. The usage of the aqueduct came to an end in the sixth century, as recent theories suggest. However, The Pont du Gard still came in use because of its secondary function, as a bridge. It suffered serious damage in 1620 because of war artillery passing, but was since repaired. In 1747 the building of a bridge out from the first tier of arches was finished. The French engineer Henri Pitot constructed it to ease the road traffic. The Pond du Gard is a unique and complex construction, which showed the Roman architects’ genius for designing magnificent structures with many practical uses.