Psychological Stereotypes

It is known that Jung has developed his own theory concerning personality types. According to Jung persons are divided into extroverts and introverts. Introverts prefer “their internal world of thoughts, feelings, fantasies, dreams”. Extroverts prefer to be involved in external world, activities and people’s interactions. It is seen that introverts and extroverts are completely opposite personality types. (Bayens 1921) According to personality theory in order not to confuse words like sociability and shyness it is necessary to outline that extroverts are tending to be social whereas introverts are tending to be shy and calm.

Nevertheless, no type is considered wrong. Actually introvert is more mature if compared with extrovert. Otherwise, extroverts are associated with more cultural values then introverts. Introverts and extroverts have to deal with the inner and outer world preferring their own way of dealing with it. People try to find the ways they feel comfortable at. Four basic ways such as sensing, thinking, intuiting and feeling are suggested when speaking about personality stereotypes In the proportion extrovert-introvert it was found out that about 75% of population was extroverts, whereas the rest 25% was introverts.

We Will Write a Custom Essay Specifically
For You For Only $13.90/page!

order now

In proportion Sensing-Intuiting only about 25% appeared to belong to intuiting category. The next researches conducted indicated that two-thirds of men are thinkers whereas two-thirds of women are considered to be feelers. Although it may seem like stereotype, it is not so. (Jung 1991) Nevertheless, Jung considers thinking and feeling as equally valued and one-third of women are thinkers as well as one-third of men are feelers. Judging – Perceiving dimension is examined more carefully as it helps to find out the superior function of a person.

Perceiving people is spontaneous and careless compared with judging them. When a person is an extrovert and judger, he may be also feeler or thinker. If a person is extravert and perceiver, he may be intuiter or senser. However, introvert and judger is more likely to be intuiter and senser whereas if a person is introvert and perceiver, he may be considered feeler or thinker. Therefore Judging – Perceiving dimension has equal proportions among population. (Bayens 1921) Each personality stereotype is subdivided into many subcategories being identified by four letters as, for example, ENFJ.

The first eight stereotypes belong to extraverts – extroverted feeling with intuiting: such people idealize their relative and friends; they are good parents and easy speakers; extroverted intuiting with feeling: such people are too emotional and expressive; they are longing for novelty and surprises, although they may be considered self-conscious; extroverted thinking with intuiting: “in charge at home, they expect a lot from spouses and kids”, extroverted intuiting with thinking: lively people belong to this type, neither orderly nor humdrum; extroverted feeling with sensing: such people are considered harmonious; they may have strong v and shoulders; extroverted sensing with feeling: people belonging to this type are usually impulsive and generous being subjected to anxiety and haste; extroverted thinking with sensing: such people are responsible parents and mates, they also loyal to other people involving employees and simply friends; extroverted sensing with thinking: such people are often sophisticated, action-oriented and rather often ruthless. (Jung 1991)

The last eight psychological stereotypes are introverts – introverted intuiting with feeling: such people are representatives of serious workers and students having the desire to make a significant contribution into this or other scientific sphere; introverted feeling with intuiting: such people are cool or reserved, idealistic and often self-sacrificing; introverted intuiting with thinking: such people love logic and ideas being the most independent compared with the rest of the types; introverted thinking with intuiting: these people are forgetful, preoccupied and faithful, they are the “bookworms”; introverted sensing with feeling: such people are work-oriented and service-oriented only; introverted feeling with sensing: these people are retiring and modest, they are not talkative preferring sensuous action; introverted sensing with thinking: such people are known to be “dependable pillars of strength”; introverted thinking with sensing: such people are fearless, action-oriented, exciting as well as impulsive and dangerous often these people like dealing with instruments and weapons becoming often technical experts. (Jung 1991)