Pets have always been associated to humans as their first friend. Coming to pets, Dogs are assumed to be the man’s best friend. But there’s one more creature that is one of human’s favorite pets – The Cats.
The Pallas Cat is a wild cat with a broad but fragmented distribution that is found in the grasslands of Central Asia. They are also referred to as the “Manul”. They are known for they’re unusual but adorable look: a flattened and rounded face, stocky build, and super fluffiness make it appear stout and plush. They have been classified as near threatened by IUCN since 2002 due to hunting, habitat degradation and prey base decline. It is worth noting that these fluffy cats are the stars of YouTube videos and Internet memes.
The Pallas cat is of the size of a domestic cat. The combination of its stocky posture and dense fur make it look stout. It weighs an average of 3.5 kgs. Its fur is ochre with dark vertical column onto its forelegs.
Their round pupils, short legs, and a flat-looking face with wide-set ears that can create some of the funniest expressions in the feline kingdom can distinguish them.
The Pallas’ cats high-elevation habitat of up to 5,000m (more than 16,000ft) results in a weakened immune system from lack of exposure to viral infections. For this reason, survival rates are low in captivity, and new litters see a mortality rate of up to 44.9%.
Interesting facts about Pallas Cat:
· You will be amazed to know that these cats prefer the cold and arid environments of rocky steppes and grasslands at elevations up to about 15,000 feet.
· They are usually found in Asia, including Iran and western China.
· While every creature has a scientific name, so do these cats. And you know what their scientific name is? Ugly Eared! *Awww** I know Pallas cats lovers are going to hate this.
· Amongst all the cats, this breed of cats has the densest fur. In fact, this long fur helps them to look much bigger in size than they actually are.
· While cats are generally known to be quite friendly in nature, these cats are an exception. They like to be lonely. As a matter of fact, they do not like the presence of their own breed as well. Because of this nature, they are very particular about their territories as well
Aren’t you already planning to get this cute little breed of cat as your new family member? Well, go ahead and have a great time with them!
Life of a Pallas Cat
You will be amazed to know the fact that this breed has been in existence since the past 5. 2 million years! Yes, you just read million! They were evolved from the leopard family and it has been noted that this species has not changed a lot since then.
Researches have proven that Pallas cats have quite a weak immune system and that is why they may not live as long as their other relatives. Pallas kittens have an even shorter life when compared to a normal adult cat. This breed of cats have been observed to live for 11 years when left to live in their own natural habitat.
Pallas Cats: Diet
If you thought these cats would love the food that all the other species of cats eat, then you might be quite mistaken. They are more of carnivores in nature and they tend to eat small pikas and rodents. They would love to have other tiny mammals also for their dinner. This includes voles, squirrels and small birds.
Our suggestion: With all the research we have done on these cats, we would suggest, it would be best to live these cats in their natural homes. They like it that way, and you would also like to see them happy. They are not very friendly animals to have as pets!