Software is the programs which run on the computer; the software is like a set of instruction as the program is designed to do only particular things. An example would be a word processor this piece of software which allows the user to edit, compose, print and many other things.Word processors- I will use word processors for the documentation of the website and maybe to create the website alsoThis program which allows people to create written files, edit and format them and print them off.Microsoft Word ProcessorThis is a piece of software which does exactly what word processors are designed. This is the most used program by people as most people usually want to create word documents.
You are also able to edit things on Microsoft word for example you can edit images you only have very basic tools however it is possible. You can also edit your text changing font and color.Advantages* Easy to use as it is very simple.
* Majority of people use it so not many problems.* Have many functions however easy to use.Disadvantages* Can be expensive to buy.* When you buy it you have to buy other programs with it.NotepadThis program generally comes with the computer when purchased this is very similar to Microsoft word processor however does not have as many functions.
The program does not allow images you are only able to edit text.Advantages* Free* Normally already on the computer.* Easy to UseDisadvantages* To basic has not got any extra functions.* Not very reliable.Webpage designer- I will use a web designer to create the websiteThis is a program which allows people to design what their webpage would look like and it is able to do everything and make very realistic like a real website.Microsoft Front PageThis is a program which allows you to create a website. It has templates from which help you to come with your design it has an image editor and a HTML editor.
Some of the features it has are many editing toolsAdvantages* Simple to use just like other Microsoft programs.* Have many easy tools to use.* Has all the functions needed.Disadvantages* Can take a while top get used to.
* May not always be easy to figure out how all the functions work* Doesn’t always have all the functions wanted can cost extra to get.Macromedia Dream weaverThis is another program which allows you to create a website. This program is also very similar to Microsoft Front page. Includes many tools which can be utilized for many things such as organizing adding pictures and other things.Advantages* Includes many functions and tools.* Can do nearly anything on it for designing your website for example make links.
Disadvantages* Can be very hard to use.* Can also take a while to set up to design a website.Microsoft PublisherThis is a program which is very similar to Microsoft word however it is more based on creating only documents which contain pictures and are very poster based. There are many tools to support this with things such ad clipart, themes, editing tools which can also be used for creating a website.Advantages* Very good at editing things e.g.
images.* Many tools are on the program.* Very easy and clear to use when you know the program.Disadvantages* Can take a while to figure out how to use.* Designed to do very specific things not very versatile.Microsoft WordYou can also create a website on Microsoft word it has already been written about above. However a different set of advantages and disadvantages apply to it as it maybe used to create a website. It has many tools such as editing tools very basic ones for images just things like resizing it and turning it round.
Advantages* Easy to use when you get the hang of it.* Very valuable tools are available.Disadvantages* Doesn’t create very good quality websites they are very basic.* Hard to learn how to create a website can take time.
Internet- I will use the internet to research my information and obtain my images from the internetThe Internet is a worldwide network which connects many people. Some uses of the Internet would be research and leisure.Internet ExplorerInternet explorer or sometimes simply just referred to as IE is one of the most frequently used Web Browsers. Internet explorer was created by Microsoft who along with internet explorer has created many other things.Advantages* Very quick* Most utilized web browser in the 21st century* Very easy to useDisadvantages* Can freeze and break down if it is doing to many things at once* Not very good support* Mediocre security systemMozilla FirefoxMozilla Firefox or sometimes referred to as FX is another very broadly used Internet browser. Some people prefer this web browser to Internet explorer as it has more features such as you can choose your search engine.Advantages* Very easy to use and understand.
* More tools and features to take advantage of* Available to any system Windows, Linux etc* Very easy to installDisadvantages* Can sometimes freeze and take time to recover* Can take time to loadSpreadsheet- I will use spreadsheets for the currency converter on the websiteThis is a program on a computer which allows you to enter number, work out sums and create graphs.Microsoft ExcelThis is a very well known spreadsheet program part of the Microsoft office package which allows you to edit and create spreadsheets.Advantages* Very easy to use* Formulas are already available on there so no need to have to know them or type them out.* Can customize your spreadsheet.Disadvantages* Can sometimes be hard to figure out how to use certain toolsGnumeric Gnumeric is a free spreadsheet program this program is part of GNOME. This is not a very well known however more and more people are coming to recognize it.
You are able to bring in and export data very easily.Advantages* Free program* It is very fast at handling large spreadsheets without freezing* Very accurateDisadvantages* Not very well known so it would be hard to get help as not many people know the software.* Not very easy to use take time to learn how to use it.Image editors and creators These are programs which allow you to create images or in my case a logo it allows you to edit and perfect them to how you want them to be.Flash Macromedia Macromedia Flash is one of the best known programs for editing and creating images it is also used to create animations.
It has many tools for editing not just basic ones very advanced tools are also available.Advantages* Has many tools available* Is a vector program so the image is very clear when you zoom in* Very easy to useDisadvantages* Is a very expensive model of software* It can take a lot time learn all the functions available and use themPaint This is a program which is very which normally comes with the computer when purchased. It is an image creating and editing program. Popular bitmap program mainly used to create simple images not very elaborate ones, same applies for editing used only to edit simple things.Advantages* Very easy to use no complicated tools* Not too much to learn so you pick up how to use it very easily* FreeDisadvantages* Bitmap program so when you zoom in not very good quality you don’t have smooth edges.
* Not very advanced tools very basic editing can be doneWhat I will usePaperworkI will use Microsoft word over Notepad as it has much better features than notepad doesn’t consist of many features. Also it is much more advanced so I am able to get more out of it compared to word pad. As Microsoft word is a more advanced program which is able to do many more functions than WordPad. WordPad has just been designed just to do very basic things such as change the font and color unlike Microsoft word is able to do a variety of other things, which will apply to what I am doing. Also I am more used to using Microsoft Word than WordPad so I think I will find it much easier to use.
Similarities* You can format the text on both programs for example: colour, size and font type.* You can print documents on both programs and save them.Differences* You can mail merge on Microsoft unlike Word Pad.
* You can also have images on Microsoft word.* WordPad is a very basic program you cant do much on it only the basics such as typing text and formatting it. However on Microsoft word you can do a range of things, have images, have links, add designs and edit images and so on.
WebsiteFor the website I have choosen to use Adobe Dream weaver over Microsoft front page because Adobe Dream weaver is much more advanced and much easier to use compared to Microsoft front page it also has many more features to experiment with. I will use dream weaver over Microsoft Publisher because Microsoft publisher is not specifically designed to create websites so it would create a very basic so it wouldn’t be a very good quality website. The same applies for Microsoft word the program is not specifically designed to create websites so the quality is not very good.Similarities* Both have a document window with a choice of design view, code view, or a split view that lets you see both.* You can also a website you have made on Dream weaver on Microsoft FrontPage and vice versa.
Differences* On dream weaver you have more tools and are able to do so many other things for example Dreamweaver has an Insert bar: which gives Quick access to objects, page layout tools, form, text and applications.SpreadsheetFor the currency converter I will use Microsoft excel because it is an advanced program than Gnumeric so for this reason it also has many other available tools than Gnumeric which is a free program so it doesn’t have as many available tools. Also I have not before used the program Gnumeric which puts it a step back as I will have to learn how to learn how to use it, which will take time unlike Microsoft excel which I already know how to use.Similarities* Has many the properties of Microsoft Excel it is sometimes referred as the free version of Microsoft Excel.Differences* Gnumeric can export Microsoft Excel files.
Image editors and creatorsI have choosen to use Flash Macromedia over Paint as the program itself is much more advanced in terms of all the tools it has unlike Paint which only has the minimum tools required. The main advantage of Flash is that it is a vector program unlike paint which is a bitmap program so when you zoom in it is not clear and not very smooth. Also with macromedia you export images to Dreamweaver very easily unlike which is more complicated to move images about.
I have also used Flash Macromedia more than Paint so I am more used to use and I will find it much easier to edit images program as it is an easy program to use.Similarities* They both have similar tools for example: zooming in/out, changing colors where needed.* You could also create and edit pictures on both of these programs.Differences* The main difference is Paint is a vector program and Macromedia Flash is a bitmap program.* Create animation on Macromedia Flash. not on Paint