HRM 531 week 3 Carrier Development Plan Sales Department Michael White HRM/531 22 November 2010 Juliana Hass The major component of building an effective sales team is the training and mentoring used in the successful development of a highly motivated sales team.
Creating the right combination of each program will provide a guide and path for each member of the team to reach his or her goals and allows the sales department to succeed in meeting or surpassing the team and organizational goals. Several steps must occur to reach this goal.First we must identify and define the training and mentoring needs of the sales department.
Next the performance standard is developed for each position and the development of the method as to how the training is presented to the sales staff. With a diverse sales team it is important to choose a delivery that will be appropriate for all members. The final step will be the development and deployment of an effective evaluation and feedback system that monitors the progress of each team member. During the entire process there will be opportunities that will surface that will identify areas of improvement.New training and mentoring needs With a team of diverse knowledge, and a combination of both InterClean and EnviroTech personnel and InterClean’s new plans to pursue a broader customer base, successful use of effective training and mentoring plans will be vital. Training will benefit the employee and the company if properly performed using the correct method and aptitude level.
With the completion of a business needs analysis and a job analysis, the training needs will be easy to identify and a training and mentoring program can easily be developed.The benefit to performing this analysis is it will help the organization ensure that the developed training program will be relevant to the job tasks and effect to the employee. The entire new team will need to go through customer service training. This training will enable them to deal with different types of customers with a diverse background because of InterClean’s new plans to pursue a broader customer base. Every team member brings working experience in this industry in different capacities to the team, but he or she have not worked together as team.
This brings about another type of training, team building skills and interpersonal relationship skills will be required for the sales department. The goal is for them to work together as a group and delineate their strengths and weaknesses to achieve harmony and work as a team. Training and Mentoring program content and objectives The following training items will be covered in the training program for the sales department at InterClean: customer relations, familiar with company products InterClean and EnviroTech, closing the sale, service after the sale, and customer complaint resolution.Following objectives must be met in the training and mentoring program.
• Develop and provide multidisciplinary sales training programs tailored to meet the individual needs of each sales representative. • Improve customer relations by establishing rapport and develop better listening skills to connect with customers. • Representatives should gain new knowledge about how to prospect effectively for new clients and deal with overcoming objections. • Develop an extensive knowledge and maintain confidence in the products and services sold by InterClean and EnviroTech. Master follow-up skills and methods. • Demonstrate proper customer complaint handling resolution. Performance standards • Achieves assigned sales goals for his or her assigned area of responsibility, by identifying the needs of the customer, overcoming customer objections, and closing the sale. • Salesperson will develop new customer accounts for his or her area of responsibility.
• Achieve less than 5% credits and adjustments. • Demonstrates a comprehensive knowledge of accounts and understanding of the business segment he or she has responsibility to maintain. Sales representative has developed and maintained a thorough knowledge of InterClean’s and EnviroTech’s products and services using the knowledge to maximize revenue. • Salesperson will display customer service skills that will represent the organization in a professional manner. • Possess a detailed knowledge of competitors within assigned area of responsibility. • Performs additional related duties as assigned. • Enhances sales and production using available company technology and support.
Methods of DeliverySeveral types of delivery methods that are available to use; On-the-job training (OJT), self-study or informal training, classroom training (internal or external), demonstration and performance, written assessments on specific assignments and tasks, product knowledge training, technical skills training, Internet-based learning, and accredited classes from a higher learning institution. The delivery method will be conducted in three different ways; On-the-Job Training (OJT), Computer-based training (CBT), and formal classroom and lecture.OJT is a method of job training that delivers the specific skills required for the development of employment competencies. OJT uses the work setting that encompasses all aspects, methods, and process used in day-to-day operations; this will train the employees on what they will be using on the job. OJT is considered the most effect training methods in the industry.
Computer-based training (CBT) method of instruction uses computer software and hardware as the delivery method. Courseware another name for CBT uses a stand-alone computer software product installed on an intranet or stand-alone computer system.CBT can run over the Internet at several locations, this is commonly known as web-based training. Evaluation methods With several evaluation methods to choose from InterClean chose to use Management by Objectives (MBO). The MBO process allows mid-level managers, supervisors, and sales department staff to develop the objective for which he or she is evaluated on periodically and be awarded according to their results. MBO places the attention of the evaluation on their set goals rather than the methods about accomplishing there goals.Evaluation methods can be classified three ways; corporate, functional, and individual, InterClean uses a combination these objective methods.
Once the objectives have been identified, they must satisfy certain conditions: They must be specific, measurable, achievable, and relevant too there position and specific to the period of the evaluation. MBO method was chosen because of several advantages to using the method. One main assumption is made that the employees is the most knowledgeable person in the unit and knows the most about their needs, capabilities, goals, weakness, and strengths.In addition MBO places emphasis on the future not on the past. Feedback Process Feedback is specific, effective not general.
Effective feedback always focuses on a specific behavior, not on a person or his or her intentions. Feedback that is sincere and honest provides the best help to an employee. For feedback to be successful it must provide discretion of the actions or behavior the employee has control over to change. Supervisors and employees must share information or observations for the feedback to be effective.Providing advice is not part of the process unless advice has been requested. Formal feedback shall be provided every six months, and informal feedback is given when management believes it is necessary. Performance feedback helps with the productivity of the workplace. Employee feedbacks reinforce his or her expectations and provide a comprehensive understanding of the company’s expectations.
In addition employee feedbacks identify areas that require improvement and areas that the employee can develop to improve his or her performance.Feedbacks provide employees with the required information necessary to develop an effective work ethic, stay motivated, improve job performance, and be a valuable member of the organization. Avoid the following common feedback mistakes: • Avoid giving praise without specifics or an honest underpinning.
• Do not wait until the performance or behavior has dropped below acceptable standards. • Waiting too long after the event has occurred to provide positive or negative feedback. • Failure to take responsibility for his or her our actions. Avoid giving feedback in e-mail messages, notes, or over the telephone. • Public humiliation, avoid using the public forum to provide feedback.
• Criticizing performance without giving suggestions for improvement. • Not following up after negative feedback. • Failing to perform regularly scheduled performance review meetings. • Link employees’ performance to organizational goals Alternate avenues for those who need further development Be specific Develop a progress plan that will enable the employee to accomplish the set goals and be a productive member of the team.Demonstration and Performance, a five-step training process designed to better prepare the employee for success on the Job. 1) Trainee preparation- provides a relaxing and stressless environment for training. 2) Provide a thorough explanation of job responsibilities and task performance skills. Discuss and explain the type of training method, standards of measurement, and the available equipment and tools available to complete the task.
3) Demonstrate the method step-by-step, break down each method to the smallest step possible. The more complex the job, the more steps that should be included on the process.Never show short-cuts always show the correct way. Ensure that they understand, and ask for feedback and ensure understanding of the task be accomplished. 4) Have the person being trained practice the task several times. It has been proven that repetition makes the most difficult task become easier to complete.
5) Continually track training progress – adapt training method in accordance with trainee’s development. Maintain a positive attitude. References http://dictionary. reference.
com Cascio, W. F. (2006).
Managing human resources: Productivity, quality of work life, profits (7th ed. ). New York: McGraw-Hill. .